Recognised in Legal 500 as a leading individual (Legal 500 2012 called her “incredibly hardworking”). Chambers 2013 described her as a lawyer who “really gets results” and Chambers 2015 say “she is outstanding. She knows her cases inside-out. She is personable, a good lawyer and committed to her clients”.
Jenny has a wealth of experience in police investigation of major crime and the complex lengthy Crown Court trials to which they lead. Her particular expertise lies in unravelling and dealing with difficult forensic and medical issues. She frequently acts for professionals caught up in the criminal justice system – including doctors, bankers, teachers, lawyers and politicians. Her key work includes "baby shaking cases" where she is one of the country's leading experts and other homicide cases. Jenny also specialises in defending those accused of sexual offences, both current and historical. She has recently acted in a series of very high profile sex crime investigations, where her clients have generally retained anonymity.
In 2012, Jenny's team were commended by the Judge following the acquittal of her client on a charge of rape: "I have been impressed to a very great extent by the conduct of counsel and the defence solicitors in this case. It's perfectly obvious that the solicitors have done a huge amount of work that was absolutely vital to the conduct of a fair trial. They have discharged their public duty 100% and I commend them for doing so".
Jenny is described by leading counsel as "a really good and inventive lawyer. She listens and therefore gets the best out of clients. Her organisation of a case is second to none and her terrier like ability on disclosure matters unearths secrets that are often case breaking".
Notable past cases include :
- R v Miller (Central Criminal Court 2016). Nurse acquitted of manslaughter and regulatory offences
- R v DO (Southwark Crown Court 2016). Sexual allegations - proceedings stayed as an abuse of process
- R v Harper (Worcester Crown Court 2015). Folk singer acquitted of historical sexual offences
- R v Young (Central Criminal Court 2014). Client cleared of manslaughter over son’s death 12 years after shaking incident
- R v PS (Exeter Crown Court 2014). Teacher acquitted of raping a pupil
- R v Nathaniel & others (Central Criminal Court 2013). Represented sport agent, the first of ten defendants charged with murder. Client acquitted of murder following 5 month trial
- R v SG (Inner London Crown Court 2012). Client cleared of rape
- R v KM (Central Criminal Court 2012). Perverting the course of justice - client acquitted of assisting husband during a murder
- R v Al-Alas (Central Criminal Court 2011). Mother cleared of shaking son to death
- R v Torres (Central Criminal Court 2011). Client acquitted of murder and manslaughter
- R v Gibbs (Central Criminal Court 2010). Ambulance technician acquitted of murder and manslaughter of baby son
- R v Matthews (Maidstone Crown Court 2010). Local politician acquitted of corruption charges
- R v Kumari-Baker (Cambridge Crown Court 2009). Double murder of two children by their mother
- R v JS (Central Criminal Court 2008). Father accused of murdering his baby son by shaking. Client acquitted of all charges
- R v ST (Wood Green Crown Court 2007). Client arrested for murder and subsequently prosecuted for preventing a burial following the death of her sister. Prosecution offered no evidence
- R v DM (Bristol Crown Court 2006). The biggest ever investigation by Avon & Somerset Police together with Operation Trident. The case involved coordinated shootings that took place simultaneously in Bristol and London. The defendants were acquitted following a five month trial for conspiracy to murder
- R v Brown (Central Criminal Court 2005). Client acquitted of murder following fatal shooting in Tottenham High Road. Case featured on BBC documentary 'Murder Blues'
Jenny has been a solicitor since 1997 and became a partner at Hickman & Rose in 2004. She served as the firm’s managing partner for 7 years until 2016, when she took over as head of the general crime team. She is currently the Vice President of the LCCSA.
email@example.com or 020 7702 5331