Hickman & Rose are at the forefront of legal developments in the areas of information and privacy law.
Rights to privacy and rights to access to information under the Data Protection Act 1998, Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Human Rights Act 1998 are a rapidly growing area of law.
We advise private individuals, journalists and campaign groups on their obligations and rights under the relevant legislation. Where needed we will challenge public bodies who refuse to comply with their statutory duties.
Our expertise includes handling claims for:
- Unlawful disclosure of confidential data
- Inaccurate criminal records and entries on police databases
- DNA, fingerprint and photograph retention
- Misuse of private information
- Breach of the OFCOM codes
- Breach of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- Breach of the Data Protection Act 1998
We also deal with defamation claims and issues regarding reputation management.